Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 91: Philabundance

Note from Bren: I recently stumbled upon the website of a food bank located over in Pennsylvania named Philabundance. The name alone conjured up HOPE for me - filling of body and soul, abundance, care - and I couldn't wait to explore the site!

Philabundance is one of the largest hunger relief organizations in Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania. They serve low income residents at risk of hunger and malnutrition, of which 23% are children and 16% are senior citizens.They get food directly into the communities though their direct services programs or through their network of agencies.


While exploring their website (which is chock-full of practical resources and ideas), I tried out "Hunger 101", an interactive crash course on living with hunger in Delaware Valley. (Try it out HERE.) You take on the role of someone who is having trouble getting enough to eat. I chose to be Virginia Fagen, a blind woman living alone in a government subsidized apartment. The scenario walked me through trying to find enough food to meet my 3100 calories for the day with the tiny food budget I had left after paying the bills. Yikes.

Long story short, I was completely unsuccessful in acquiring a consistent balance of calories and nutrients to satisfy that many calories each day. I'd come up short EVERY time. I would run out of money, I wouldn't have enough money, my food would spoil, I wasn't approved for assistance in time, and the list goes on and on.

And don't even get me started on the forms. Aside from the fact that there were a million forms to fill out, let's not forget that the person I chose to represent in this scenario was BLIND.


And this was a SCENARIO. I had a computer and a calculator and a yellow legal pad on which to tally my calculations, to think through each decision, to make adjustments as I could to stretch my dollars as far as they could go. My handy little computer scenario from the comfort of my home didn't include the frustration of having to wait in line, or the heat of carrying my bags from place to place as I chased down what to eat, or the darkness of being blind, much less still hungry. Day after day after day.

My empathy for those in need was exponentially increased, as was my appreciation for the work and dedication of places like Philabundance in PA or Loaves and Fishes in IL or Metro CareRing right here in Denver, CO. God bless such difficult, yet rewarding, work. To be able to take the time and care necessary to work with the PEOPLE in need, and not just work the system, is an incredible act of humanity, and one that has my support, my advocacy, and my prayers.

Day 91. Dollar 91. Pound 91. Make us worthy, Lord, to serve our fellow human beings throughout the world who live and die in poverty and hunger. Give them through our hands their daily bread, and by our understanding love, give peace and joy. Amen. (A prayer of Mother Teresa of Calcutta)

No comments:

Post a Comment